I Took My Duvet Cover Out My Closet And Was Surprised To Find Mildew In Some Areas. Is There Any Way I Can Remove The Stain?
Mildew usually occurs when a wet item or an item which is not completely dry is folded and stored away. Before putting away any laundry, making sure it's completely dry will save you a lot of hassle.
The Good Housekeeping Guide Advises you to remove the mildew as soon as possible because, "the presence of mold and mildew in your home can cause serious health problems." So lets get rid of it as soon as possible!
1. Take the duvet cover outside and shake off as much mildew as possible. Do not brush the mildewed garment indoors or you will be spreading the mold spores around your house.
2. Soak the stain in cold water until the stain is loosened.
3. If chlorine bleach is safe for the fabric, launder, using chlorine bleach and the hottest water that's safe for the fabric. If chlorine bleach is not safe for the fabric, soak in oxygen bleach and hot water for at least 30 minutes, and then launder.
4. Dry thoroughly, preferably in the sun.
5. If the stain still remains, sponge the fabric with lemon juice, sprinkle with salt and then set in the sun to dry.